Wednesday, January 5, 2011

V-J Day in Times Square



I love this photo!

it is one of my favorite ever, not just because of the spontaneity of it or the fact that the people are unknown or even that it is ridiculously romantic. It is all of that and more. This photo was taken on August 14, 1945 when the end of world war 2 was announced.

A photographer named Alfred Eisenstaedt, Like many others he was in times square celebrating the end of the war. Eisenstaedt made two accounts of the kiss in his books, He said that he was running around when he saw a sailor going thru the crowds kissing every girl in sight. He had his back turned when he saw a flash of white he turned around and took 4 pictures to capture what he saw.

The picture was first published in LIFE magazine a week later.

The question that has always bothered me has been the identity of the kissers. 11 men and 3 women have claimed to be the people in the photo. There has been some pretty intense tests done to try to see who it really is but personally I think that as great as it would be knowing it is even better not knowing. One guy who claims that it as him even identified his wife in the background. Another guy says that his birthmark and tattoos match but come on I could say I knew justin bieber doesn't mean it is true, and tattoo dude I don't see any tattoos and your "birthmark" could have been dirt for all I know. its a black and white photo.

Anyway the beauty of this photo is the pure shock of the women, people can doubt the fact of the spontaneity of the picture but number one the photographer has proof...the original film.
I mean look at the way she is standing, someone expecting a kiss does not react like that.

This photo is pure beauty.

flip I love it

No comments:

Post a Comment